2013 Outstanding Part-Time Instructor Award Call for Applications
The Committee on Instruction is now accepting nominations for the 2013 Outstanding Part-Time Instructor Award. The Simphiwe Hlatswayo Award for the Outstanding Part-Time Instructor, which comes with a $500 cash prize, was created by the College Senate to recognize outstanding adjunct instructors as well as to encourage excellence in teaching. The award was named to honor the memory of Simphiwe Hlatswayo, who was a graduate of SUNY Oneonta from South Africa, and who taught here first as an adjunct, then later as an assistant professor.
All part-time instructors who have taught at least one course in either each of the previous two semesters (Spring & Fall 2012), each of the previous two fall semesters (Fall 2011 & Fall 2012) or each of the previous two spring semesters only (Spring 2011 & Spring 2012) are eligible. Part-time instructors may nominate themselves or be nominated by other members of the faculty regardless of rank. They may also be nominated by students. The deadline for nominations is Tuesday, April 2.
Nomination folders must include the following:
1. A current curriculum vita or resume
2. A statement of teaching philosophy
3. Four recent letters of recommendation- two letters from full- or part-time peers (both of whom should teach at SUCO) and two letters from students (preferably not currently enrolled with this instructor)
4. Syllabi from the last two eligible semesters (additional course materials may be included)
5. Student Perception of Instruction results and/or other standardized student evaluation of instruction instrument for each course taught in the last two eligible semesters. Quantitative data as well as typewritten free-response student comments are expected; if desired, instructors may include their response to student evaluations.
6. Grade distribution for each course taught in the last two eligible semesters
Nomination materials should be submitted to John McCaslin-Doyle, 106C Fine Arts Center.